A traditional Nigerian dish made with basmati rice. Accompanied nicely with chicken, coleslaw & plantain.
Follow this simple recipe and you should be able to make this delicious dish.
Prep time: 15 mins, Cook time: 45 mins – 1 hour, Total time: 1 hour – 1 hours 15 mins
- Golden Sella Basmati Rice
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 Scotch Bonnet
- Fresh Thyme
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Optional)
- Olive Oil
- Curry Powder (Optional)
- All Purpose Seasoning
- Maggi Seasoning
- Ginger paste
- Mixed Herbs
- Corse Black Pepper
- 1 or 2 Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
- Bay Leaves
1. Wash 1-2 cups of rice (Ratio 1 cup of rice: 1 tinned tomato. 1 cup of rice being 290ml)
2. Slice 1 brown & 1 red onion, 3 spring onions, 1 scotch bonnet and 3 garlic cloves.
3. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pot, add all the onions, spring onions, garlic cloves, scotch bonnet and fresh thyme. Add 3 tea spoons of ginger paste and some corse black pepper. Stir for about 5-8 mins on a medium heat.
4. Add the chopped tinned tomatoes. Stir and add All Purpose Seasoning, Maggi Seasoning, Mixed Herbs and Curry Powder (Optional). You can add other seasonings if you wish. Leave to cook for 8-10 mins.
5. Add the washed rice and stir well. Once mixed in well add 4-6 bay leaves.
6. Add a layer of foil to cover the pot to help soften the rice. Turn down to the lowest heat and leave to cook for 15 mins.
7. Stir the rice and taste to see how soft it is. If it is still hard then cover again to soften some more. If it is soft then add 4 tablespoons of butter and stir in. Leave to cook for another 10 mins. Finished!!!